Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Book Review: One Second After

I'm so excited to use this blog to review books as well as talk about every day life! I love reading, and read at the very least two books a month, usually more. I participate in a book club, the first week of every month. I highly recommend finding a book club near you, or creating one! I meet up with my sister and a group of fabulous ladies to discuss the book we've chosen. 


I find book club great for many reasons: 
1. I read things I never would have chosen on my own, and usually really like them!
2. I get out of the house and have fun for at about three hours. 
3. Yummy food at every meeting. 

I'm sure there are many more, but those are the main reasons! 

Let's get to it! I'm reviewing the book from April's book club meeting. We read the book "One Second After", by William R. Forstchen. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars! 



You can find it on Amazon here. By the way, I'm a Kindle reader, so I will most likely be posting the links from Amazon for all book reviews. 

"One Second After" takes place in a small town in the United States. An EMP (Electronic Magnetic Pulse) is set off by an unknown terrorist group, causing all electronics to be completely useless. Forstchen does a fantastic job of capturing the panic and mayhem that is caused by the technological world being shattered. I have never truly thought about how dependent we all are on our electronics, but after reading this book realized how attached I really am to my iPhone and other gadgets! 

It is stated in the Amazon review that the U.S. government has been looking at and evaluating this book as an example as to what would happen if an EMP were to be set off. I can understand why. Forstchen thinks of every possible thing that could, and would go wrong. It is terrifying the way people revert so quickly when not able to communicate with other towns, or the federal government. Think about the food you have on hand. How long would it last you, especially without a refrigerator? How about people in your family dependent on medication. How many months/weeks of medicine do they have available to them at home, if they could not access more? 

These are truly frightening thoughts for me. We do not keep a ton of excess food on hand. We grocery shop about every other week. Both of my parents are highly dependent on medicine. I don't think they could last long in a world where you couldn't drive to the nearest pharmacy or have your medicine delivered to you. 

Don't look for a happy, completely wrapped up, ending in this book. Pick up this book if you are not afraid of facing some scary truths. I highly recommend it and didn't want to set it down once I started reading it. A few women in my book club jokingly mentioned that they will be now become doomsday preppers thanks to this book. 

Clear your calendars and pick up "One Second After" today! 

Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment