Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I miss you, Barbie.

4.) A childhood toy you once loved.

The toy I probably played the most with, as a child, was Barbie. I had huge containers full of Barbies, clothes, furniture, etc. My Barbies had a house, pool, cars, RV, and even a refrigerator that really opened. 

I spent a lot of time setting up the Barbie house before each play. It had to be just right. Why didn't I just leave it set up? There is a logical reason for that. I had a partner in crime. We played Barbies well into the night, and until we were way too old. We had to be fair. Before each time we played, all the furniture would go into a huge pile and we would take turns picking items. This guaranteed no one ever always got stuck with inferior items. 

My house looked something like this: 



It was a pass me down from my sister, and I absolutely loved it.
It made me very sad, when I finally had to admit I was too old and get rid of it.

They traveled in style, in a car very similar to this one: 


It was pretty much top of the line at that time. 

I received this gem for my birthday one year: 


I proudly rode around our long driveway in that Barbie corvette.


All of my love for the Barbies could not save them though. It couldn't save them from me growing up. Even at the time, when I was still young enough to play, it couldn't save them from a worse fate at the hand of my sister. 


Barbie wasn't meant to rock the shaved head/pixie cut. However, that always seemed to be the first revenge my sister issued. 

The Barbie furniture and clothes went to a great cause, years after I stopped playing. I found a girl who shared the same love for Barbie. She had a whole room dedicated to being a town for her Barbies! I gladly donated anything in good shape to her. I wanted to help her town grow. Secretly, I was excited my Barbie stuff would get a second life, with another happy child. 

I miss you, Barbie.

Mama’s Losin’ It

No comments:

Post a Comment